Do you know what personal information is collected from you when you are online? The answer could surprise you. Here is a list of regularly collected information.
What Is Tracked
- What websites you visit and the frequency of those visits
- What your name is.
- Your geographic location.
- Passwords you use.
- Credit Card information.
- Social Security Numbers.
These are just a few examples of the types of information being tracked while you are online. Does it make you wonder what the information is used for?
Why Are You Tracked?
- To see what websites you visit and the frequency of your visits.
- To acquire your personal information for solicitation purposes.
- What items you purchase online.
- Where you work.
- What your annual income is.
- Your marital status.
- How many children you have.
The reasons why you are tracked are endless. Website tracking unquestionably changes the meaning of the words personal and private. Now to see how these websites are tracking your every move.
How are you Tracked?
- Cookies – Pieces of data (your information) that websites store in your browser.
- IP Address – Websites that you visit always obtain your IP Address.
- Browser History – Your browsing history enables websites to see what sites you have visited.
Protecting Yourself and Informing Your Visitors
What WordPress Tracks
WordPress.com tracks information such as your browser type, language preferences, referring sites, date and time of the visit, and when data is published. WordPress.com uses the data for reporting on trends of use.
WordPress.org tracks no information. If you want information tracked, you must set it up yourself. But be sure and explain what information you are tracking and why. Also, let your visitors know what it is being used for.
How are you tracking this information? By cookies, IP Addresses, browser history? What is it used for? For example, you’re tracking the data for trends.
Example Privacy Policies
Write in or add a link to how visitors information is protected.