If you intend to have multiple people adding content to your site you will need to know how to add new users. I have detailed the process below:
- Navigate to the administration panel of your website.
- Click on Users > Invite New.
- On the Invite New Users screen, complete the fields for Usernames/Email, Role, and an optional message.
- When the new user accepts the email invitation, their name will feature “Accepted” next to it in the New User Invite List, and they will be added to the User’s list.
Please note that sometimes the emailed invite will arrive faster if you enter the email address of the contributor, not the username.
Changing the WordPress User Role
If you would like to change the user role for a user:
- On the Users panel, check the check box next to the User’s name.
- Then navigate to the drop down menu at the top labeled “Change role to…”
- Select the desired role for your user, then click the button labeled “Change.”
There are 5 user roles in WordPress by default.
- Administrator: User will have access to all areas of your site, and permission to change everything.
- Editor: User has access to all posts, pages, comments, categories, and tags.
- Author: User can write, upload photos, edit, and publish their own posts.
- Contributor: User has no publishing or uploading capability, but can write and edit their own posts until they are published.
- Follower: User can read and comment on posts and pages.
Make sure to visit the WordPress Codex for more information on user management.