Post titles can be a great way for people to find your post, it can attract people through search engines, that is if they are used properly.
Post Titles and Themes
Most Themes restrict post title length to two lines, however this might not be the case for all WordPress Themes. If you would like to write long post titles, test out multiple WordPress Themes an check the single post pageview as well as the front page as they may look different.
When looking for a Theme for your site it is advised to look at every aspect of the Theme, and not just the home page, there might not be support for some headings, or there may be issues with images.
SEO and Post Titles
When crafting a post title be sure to check out a search engines policies to see if a post is blocking the search engine from showing it, here are a few of Google’s policies:
What not to do when crafting a post title:
- Choosing a title that has no relation to the content on the page.
- Using default or vague titles like “Untitled” or “New Page 1.”
- Using lengthy titles that are not helpful to users.
- Using generic descriptions.
If you would like to see more information on what Google tells you to avoid, be sure to check out Hobo Internet Marketing’s post on Google not to do list.
Now here some tips on what to do when crafting a title:
- Using humorous titles can be great for your site, though it might attract a certain demographic so use with care.
- Don’t be afraid to call out the elephant in the room in your title, especially for controversial topics as it might increase site traffic, how ever be warned controversy brings out very strong reactions.
- Remember its your personal site so adding a personal touch I sent the worst idea.
For more information please visit these sources: