Tags: A group of descriptive words which provide a useful way to tell readers what a post is about. They simply make it easier for people to find your content.
WordPress Support – What Is A Tag?
Tags are part of the WordPress Taxonomy, the micro-categorization of content on WordPress. In other words, tags are best described as your websites index words, helping a visitor find the information they need by simply typing in a word directly related to that post.
Tags are found in the Administration Screen > Posts > Tags for review, editing, and adding descriptions.
Examples Of Tags
Lets say you want to write a post about bowling. You can add tags that are specific to that post. You would type in "bowling," to add the tag.
What other words would people use to search for topics on bowling, words related to your article. If the article is about learning to bowl, then the tags may include how to bowl, learning to bowl, bowling lessons, and bowling basics.
Below is an example of a tag cloud, historically called a heat map. The more posts in a tag, the larger the word in the cloud of tag words.
For More Information On Tags
The following is information to help you learn more about tags and also how to use them on your favorite social networking sites.
- WordPress Support – What Is A Tag?
- WordPress Support – Categories VS Tags
- Tags Are Not Categories – Got It? « Lorelle on WordPress
- The Problems With Tags and Tagging – Lorelle on WordPress
- Categories versus Tags – What’s the Difference and Which One? « Lorelle on WordPress
- Best Practice for Using Tags in WordPress – WooThemes
- WordPress Tags: Everything You Need to Know – ManageWP
- The Right Way to Use Categories and Tags in WordPress to Boost SEO – ManageWP