WordPress has two ways to update. There is a three-step process through the WP-Admin screen, while WordPress.org has a tutorial for updating for multiple versions, as well as package you can download. There is a warning: The updates can affect your files and folders including the main WordPress installation, so backing up WordPress is highly recommended.
It’s important to update; updating WordPress applies fixes and patches. WordPress does automatic updates for security and maintenance that is done in the background.
In WordPress, you can easily update your application directly from the Admin screen. When a version is available, you will see a notification in the WP Admin area. You can choose to update the newest version from this screen. There will be an important message that provides you with a button “Update Now.”
The following are step-by-step instructions on using the automatic WordPress update method.
- From the WP-Admin screen, select Updates. If there are updates that need to be installed, there will be notifications.
- Under WordPress Updates from the WP-Admin screen, there will be a blue button entitled “Update Now.”
- Select the blue button and WordPress will update. Your notification will change to “Update WordPress.”
- After the update has completed, you will receive a “Welcome to WordPress” notification.
For More Information
- Updating WordPress – WordPress.org
- Updating Plugins – WordPress.org
- Updating Themes – WordPress.org
- Updating Extended Version – WordPress.org