It can be exciting to display the days until a big event. An online holiday retailer may want to highlight the shopping days before Christmas. To inspire urgency, a candidate website may post a countdown to election day. Both these tasked can be automated with the Milestone Widget found on WordPress.com sites or added with a WordPress Plugin.
Listed below is a process for adding a Milestone Widget to a website. In this example, the traditional user interface is used. The fields are similar in the new UI.
Adding the Milestone Widget to WordPress.com Sites
Go to Appearance Widgets and scroll down to Milestone. Expand the Milestone Widget to present the sidebar and footer options.
- Expand the Milestone Widget
- Select the sidebar or footer location option
- When complete, execute the Add Widget button
Customize the Milestone Widget with text and termination date.
- Title is a short title for the milestone.
- Event is the text displayed in the message box along with the target date.
- Time and Date sets the expiration date and time.
- Message is the text presented in the display box after the target date expires.
- Visibility Button will drop down the configuration options for Showing or Hiding the Widget.
- Save the configurations and Close
Milestone Widget Configurations
- Title: Holiday Milestone
- Event: Days until Christmas
- Date and Time: 12-Dec, 25,2015,0,00
- Message: Merry Christmas
With only a handful of steps, a Milestone Widget can be added to a website and bring awareness to an important date.